313 Pizza Bar

Orion Fire Hall

In 1881, homes and business places, alike, were illuminated by kerosene lamps.  In case of fire, an alarm was sounded from the church belfry and the citizens formed a fire brigade with pails, tin buckets, etc. and as they were wholly unorganized, the fire usually had its way.  Each family had its pump and there was no inside plumbing.

Major fires in the business district occurred in 1862, 1871, 1874, 1883, 1894, 1901, 1902, and 1910. Early village records were destroyed in the numerous fires which plagued the area and it was difficult to determine what development was first a part of Orion and what was a part of New Canandaigua. 

Disaster hit the Village in 1874, when fire once again leveled the business district.  The entire block, with the exception of the Shurter house was burned.  Railroad cars were loaded with building supplies and shipped from Detroit, enabling the village to make a quick recovery.

Until 1915, the village had no water works.  At that time, a water tower and new well for more adequate fire protection was added and water lines and hydrants expanded up until 1930. After the fire of 1910, a new gasoline fire engine was purchased and the first local fire company was organized.  Fire fighters were to receive pay when they worked.  Eleven local men were hired.

The water tower was taken down in 1994 and the underground well was disconnected at the same time.

The 2nd floor of this building was also home to the Lake Orion Library from 1926-1940. It was established by the Lake Orion Women’s Club in 1926.